Sunday, August 28, 2011





Well, it's beginning to feel like the first day of school. Fall feels like it is just around the corner, the green is fading from the trees and ground cover, and it is getting cooler in the evening. There is a smell that is difficult to explain, but each year around this time, it appears. When the wind blows, the leaves rattle. I am ready to give up the carefree days of summer. The swimming pool doesn't seem as inviting. I want to wear those new fall clothes that I bought a few weeks ago. And most of all, I'm ready to see the friends at school that I haven't talked to all summer.


But to be real, I've been in school for over two weeks. Those hot days of summer don't matter any more because air-conditioned schools have become the norm. I don't feel like I'm ready to go back to school early in August, and by the looks of it, I'll probably be starting even earlier next year. A balanced school year has become the new way of education. Parents are loving it. I just wonder how many times I'll have to plan lessons for kids who will be going on vacation with their families. Heavens forbid if the family has to change.


Back in the day, Labor Day was the focus point. We were ready to go back to school. Vacation time was done. Many of the vacation destinations were closing up. Theme parks would only have weekend hours. State parks stopped charging at the gate, and few people went camping. No more lifeguards were on duty at the lake. Oh, how the times have changed.


How will the kids of this time remember summer and school? Many of them will not even look forward to the summer because they will be in school. Gosh, many of them have been going to school since before they could remember. No wonder school is not exciting to the kindergartners. Pre-school--which they would call school--began for some at age two.


I'm glad when I grew up; however, if I were growing up today, I'd look back on this time as being the best. But then again, maybe not. I liked those long months of summer!!

2 comments:

  1. This is one parent who thinks that school should be from Labor Day to Memorial Day. I don't think the kids are getting any smarter by starting in the summer. I'm not even sure they are as smart as they used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids are smarter in different ways in each generation.

    I can verify that for this generation and maybe even a couple back, their anatomical Democratic part has become much smarter!! (Tee-hee)

    ReplyDelete